Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summer in the city

It's HOT here in Minneapolis. Luckily the thunderstorms that ravaged the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area this evening have lowered the temperatures a bit and I am blessed not only to have a sealed apartment to call home but also a fully functioning air conditioning unit to cool my abode. Needless to say when I got home from an extended day of work today, the refresher I grabbed was an ice cold beer. (Before I came home I was at a wine seminar put on by one of my associates, the very mythical Bill Abrahamson (look him up), that covered the Tempranillo wines of scorching Spain). Readily available in my fridge was a can of "Back in Black" Black IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery. Though these guys hail from the city by the bay (San Francisco) they have been brewing some beer for the Minnesota market at the relatively local Cold Springs Brewery. Unlike anything I've ever tried before, this beer is brewed with dark malts instead of the lighter fare that is typical to the IPA style. I was not a fan upon first sipping, but to be fair, the ballsy beer has grown on me. Its 6.8% ABV is something to remember, or rather help you forget the day past, but the hop profile is nicely rounded and balanced and is an interesting complement to the heavier body of the innovative beer. The packaging is pretty sexy too. It lacks the citrus finish and dazzle of many hoppy IPA's but it's something different and is definitely worth the $10 for a six pack. Sometimes beating the summer heat doesn't always mean light and fresh!