Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tastefulness

What do your taste-buds crave? It's a pretty straightforward question and I'm willing to bet that the answers would vary greatly from city to city, country, to country, and even from continent to continent. I'll be the first to admit that I often times crave a greasy pizza with spicy Italian sausage, mushrooms, and jalapenos (with a ranch-sriracha dip on the side) or a fat burger and fries, a fatty mexican burrito, or a fresh baguette. What about fresh basil, tomatoes straight from the garden, or garlic after it's been in a frying pan for about 20 seconds? It always amazes me, the range of flavors that exist in our culinary possibilities, and also how mainstream American cuisine is relatively limited to the salty, processed, mundane. It IS getting better but still, I find myself falling back on the unhealthy crutches. I feel like when I pick out a wine to have with a meal that I am a hundred times more likely to prepare something from fresh ingredients. We always hear people throwing out wine descriptors like 'dill, soy, blackcurrant, and lavendar' but how often do you hear someone say that a wine would go perfectly with a McDonald's double cheesburger and fries? I'd like my eating habits to err on the side of healthy and fresh, but I also think it's cool to recommend wines for the simple and mundane situations in life; When's the last time someone told you to have a glass of Viogner while you dip a steel spoon in a jar of honey, or drink a glass of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc while you're mowing the lawn?